Monday, December 21, 2009


ADDICTION AND ITS SIGNS

The term. “Addiction” describes an obsession, compulsion or excessive psychological dependence on a variety of substances and behaviors. These include drugs, alcohol, and food, shopping, love, clutter, exercise, crime, money, gambling and tattooing. Recently, technology-related addictions have joined the mix: video games, texting, cell phones, e-mail, and eBay, Web surfing, online gambling, social networking, micro blogging etc.

Where do you draw the line between enjoying a substance or activity and having an addiction? It's not easy, particularly when you've been covering up the truth from yourself (and others) for years, but there are signs and clues that can help you determine whether you might be an addict.

September is Recovery month. It promotes the message that recovery from addiction, in all its forms, is possible. Asking yourself the right questions can be the beginning of your journey to recovery.

Here are twelve preliminary questions you might ask to determine whether you've crossed the line into addiction:

1. Am I drawn to a substance or activity that I feel like I no longer have a choice about taking or performing?
2. Do I need more and more of the substance or activity to get the same effect that it originally provided?
3. Is it difficult, or impossible, for me to stop?
4. When I don't have the substance or activity, do I experience withdrawal symptoms of some kind such as physical craving, anxiety, depression or irritability?
5. Am I compelled to hide or deny the amount of time that I spend on this substance or behavior?
6. Do I feel the need to keep this part of my life hidden from friends, family and co-workers?
7. Is my performance at work or in school, or my participation in personal relationships, suffering because of my use of the substance or my involvement in the activity?
8. Do I find myself spending too much time planning when, and how, I can next use the sub¬stance or engage in the activity?
9. Are there important people in my life who are concerned about my well-being because of the substance or activity, and do I want to reject their input and concern?
10. Are you restless, irritable, and discontented?
11. Did you have any problems with the law?
12. Do you think you can stop on a non-spiritual basis?

Your answers can help bring clarity to your situation. Your loved ones might offer support, but they can't put you on the road to healing. Only you can do that. Sometimes addicts know on a gut level that they're in trouble, but they're in denial. But the only way to get help is to ask for it, and the only way you can motivate yourself to ask for help is to acknowledge your addiction with willing acceptance.

No comments: