Monday, December 21, 2009

TRADITION FIVE

Each group has but one primary purpose; to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers. It is better to do one thing supremely well than many things badly.

It has now become plain enough that a recovered alcoholic can do much for a sick alcoholic; a tremendous responsibility has descended upon all of us, an obligation so great that it amounts to a sacred trust. Those who suffer from alcoholism, recovery is a matter of life or death, so Alcoholics Anonymous as a whole cannot and dare not, ever be diverted from its primary purpose. Temptation to do otherwise will come aplenty.

Should our present success continue, people would commence to assert that AA is a brand-new way of life, maybe a new religion, capable of saving the world? It becomes our bounden duty to show modern society how it ought to live.

Fortunately, most of us are convinced that these are perilous speculations, alluring ingredients of that new heady wine we are now being offered, each bottle marked "Success"! Of this subtle vintage may we never drink too deeply? May we never forget that we live by the grace of God -- on borrowed time; that anonymity is better than acclaim; that for us as movement poverty is better than wealth but carrying the message to the alcoholic who still suffers alcoholism?

AA fellow should ask the following questions to himself regarding this tradition;

1. Do I ever cop out by saying, “I’m not a group, and so this or that tradition doesn’t apply to me”?
2. Am I willing to explain firmly to a newcomer the limitations of AA help, even if he gets mad at me for not giving him a loan?
3. Have I today imposed on any AA member for a special favor or consideration simply because I am a fellow alcoholic?
4. Am I willing to 12th-step the next newcomer with out regard to who or what is in it for me?
5. Do I help my group in every way I can to fulfill our primary purpose?
6. Do I remember that AA old-timers, too can be alcoholics who still suffer?
7. Do I try both to help them and to learn from them?

No comments: