Monday, December 21, 2009


TRADITION SEVEN

Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.

Despite most alcoholics having financial problems, fellowship announced that it is going to pay its bills for group purposes. But still there is terrific aversion to dropping money in to the basket.
Alcoholics certainly are all-or-nothing people but time has proved that such great numbers of yet erratic people could live and work together with harmony and good effect.

AA came to the conclusion that spirituality has to be separated from materialism except the basket to pay for the rent etc. If there is too much money it could also cause the character defects to increase like embezzlement and fights over it? So as a principle AA should remain poor proving that irresponsible had become responsible.

AA fellow should ask the following questions to himself regarding this tradition:

1. Honestly now, do I do all I can to help AA (my group, my central office, my GSO) remain self-supporting? Could I put a little more into the basket on behalf of the new guy who can’t afford it yet? How generous was I when using? At the same time I am afraid that it may not be an ego-feeding proposition for me.
2. Should the AA News letter let the business people to advertise, so it could make a big profit?
3. If GSO runs short of funds some year, wouldn’t it be okay to let the government subsidize AA groups?
4. Is it more important to get a big AA collection from a few people, or a smaller collection in which more members participate?
5. Is a group treasurer’s report unimportant AA business? How does the treasurer feel about it?
6. How important in my recovery is the feeling of self-respect, rather the feeling of being always under obligation for charity received?

No comments: